It's Hump Day and you probably need a little pick-me-up to help you get through the rest of the week. Here are some links that might hit the spot.
- I didn't win that Martin Miller Gin contest a while back. But here's the cocktail that did: Junior Ryan's Strega Sour. Admittedly, his looks like it might be better than mine.
- Here you can watch Junior make it himself.
- Throwing a party for the holidays? Here are some inexpensive suggestions for stocking a home bar, courtesy of the gifted and talented Jason Wilson.
- For those of you who live in the DC area: the Museum of the American Cocktail is hosting a seminar on George Washington's Mount Vernon Distillery.
- This recipe for a Spiced Toddy by Charlotte Voisey sounds like it has real potential.
- Paul "The Mixxa" Martin shows you how to make a Drambuie 15 Old-Fashioned. (If you don't want it quite so sweet, just cut back on the sugar a little.)
- Derek Brown's 5 tips for that holiday favorite: Egg Nog.
- Simon Difford rounds up some nutty liqueurs. His favorites are two Amarettos (Amaretti?): Luxardo and DiSaronno.
- A soft-of alternative to egg nog: the Rattlesnake (a variation of a Rye Fizz).
- Eric Asimov has a nice piece on Champagnes and other sparkling wines.
- And just so you beer drinkers won't feel left out: 5 Champagne Beers For New Year's Toasting.
- Finally, something a little lighter from the archives: Eric Felten on "Some Cocktails Are Supposed to Taste Funny."
In case you haven't finished your holiday shopping, a few more gift guides to give you ideas:
- From Liquor.com, recommendations featuring Scotch. In addition to the Auchentoshan Three Wood, which I would love to try, they recommend the Glenfiddich 15 and Highland Park 18, plus a couple others.
- Also on Liquor.com, gifts for the high-roller. Some great (and very expensive) picks, including Grand Marnier Quintessence. The one I'd really like, though, is the Appleton Estate Signature Marque.
- The Wall Street Journal gives suggestions for "The 12 Bottles of Christmas," including Canadian Club 12, Dewars Signature, Campari, Frangelico and Mount Gay Eclipse Rum.
- Here's a fun one: "A Holiday Wish List from the Booze Pros." I have to admit, I wouldn't be disappointed if someone got me my own barrel.