- 2 oz. Rye Whiskey
- 1/2 oz. Simple Syrup
- 2 dashes Peychaud's Bitters
- Absinthe or Herbsaint, for rinsing the glass
- Lemon Twist, for garnish
- Rinse a chilled rocks or cocktail glass with absinthe or Herbsaint, and set aside. Stir other ingredients in a mixing glass with ice until very cold, then strain into the chilled glass. Garnish with the lemon twist.
- This New Orleans classic was originally made with cognac and absinthe.
- You must use Peychaud's bitters for it to be a true Sazerac.
- If you prefer, instead of using simple syrup, you can replace it with a sugar cube (either white or Demerara). Just muddle the sugar and bitters in your mixing glass before adding the other ingredients.
Recipe from Professor Cocktail: professorcocktail.com