The recipe for the perfect Bloody Mary is very much a matter of personal taste. It’s a drink that has endless variations depending on which ingredients you chose to use. You can make it spicy or sweet or fishy or savory or herbaceous, whatever the stomach desires. Here is my version. But feel free to play with the recipe to make it your own. Some possible variations are listed below the recipe.
- Replace the vodka with gin (Red Snapper) or tequila (Bloody Maria). Or you could try a flavored vodka such as pepper or cucumber.
- Replace the tomato juice with Clamato (Bloody Caesar).
- Add 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish or 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder.
- Add dill, basil, or other fresh herbs.
- Add a splash of olive juice.
- Add a pinch of garlic salt, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, or Creole seasoning.
- Replace (or augment) the Tabasco with sriracha sauce, habanero sauce, or the hot sauce of your choice.
Image © Grafvision – Fotolia.com